radRounds Radiology Network

Connecting Radiology | Enabling collaboration and professional development

Metal Hamper Brought into MRI Room Severely Injures Patient

A metal hamper was accidentally brought into a MRI room and quickly struck the patient’s head, causing an orbital bone fracture in their eyebrow, according to the Lowell Sun.

The incident, which occurred on June 16 at Lowell General Hospital Saints Campus in Massachusetts, resulted in the technician who brought in the metal hamper to being disciplined. The hospital administration are also organizing a review of safety protocols with its staff. The MRI-safe hamper had been mistakenly switched with a different kind that belonged in another part of the hospital. Both types of hampers had been specifically labeled, but the technologist didn’t take note of the difference when they brought it into the MRI room.

The Shield Healthcare Group, a New England-based imaging service company, is responsible for all imaging practices at the hospital’s Saints Campuses. In a statement, Stephen T. Sweriduk, MD, Shields medical director, iterated the group’s commitment to safety, "This is completely outside the norm for us because both organizations embrace rigorous safety training and education for staff. We have already met with staff to review best practices and ensure that we are doing everything possible to continue to foster a culture of safety across all of our clinical areas."

There is no news yet if the injured man plans to seek legal damages.

Views: 3322

Comment

You need to be a member of radRounds Radiology Network to add comments!

Join radRounds Radiology Network

Sponsor Ad

© 2018   Created by radRounds Radiology Network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service