Course Benefits/Unique Highlights:
- Opt to attend our workshop with unembalmed human cadaver specimens to practice U/S-guided injection and aspiration techniques.
- Evaluate upper and lower extremity joints
- Evaluate the hip and spine
- Break-out groups for scanning protocols and case study reviews
- Scan live models with 3:1 participant-to-instructor ratio
Unembalmed Human Cadaver Workshop Description
Working in collaboration with the AEC Learning Center, Gulfcoast Ultrasound designed this workshop to complement participation in the Introduction to MSK Ultrasound program. Participants will have an opportunity to perform ultrasound-guided injection and aspiration techniques on unembalmed human cadaver specimens. The optional session will develop skills, enhance confidence, and minimize barriers to integrate these techniques into clinical practice. Registration is limited to individuals who are registered for this course.
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Explain ultrasound physics principles and imaging fundamentals for musculoskeletal imaging.
- Describe techniques and protocols for performing shoulder, elbow, wrist/hand, knee, ankle and foot ultrasound examinations.
- Identify normal anatomy during musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging.
- Explain the capabilities and limitations of musculoskeletal ultrasound imaging.
- Identify sonographic appearance of commonly seen pathology of the shoulder, knee, elbow wrist hand, ankle and foot.
- State the indications and benefits of MSK ultrasound for sports medicine injuries, physical medicine & rehabilitation, and rheumatology applications.
- Explain the use of MSK sonography for diagnosis and ultrasound-guided interventions.
- Discuss the indications/findings for MSK hip and spine sonography.
- Describe “in-plane” and “out of plane” injection and aspiration techniques.
- Increase the participant’s knowledge to better perform and/or interpret MSK U/S examinations.
- Apply the information discussed in a clinical setting, ideally under supervised conditions until an acceptable level of proficiency has been achieved.
- Optional: Perform ultrasound-guided injection techniques on human cadaver specimens.
- Imaging fundamentals
- Shoulder and elbow anatomy/Scan techniques/Pathology
- Hand and wrist anatomy/Scan techniques/Live demonstration
- Aspiration/Injection techniques
- Knee anatomy/scan techniques/Knee pathology
- Foot and ankle anatomy/scan techniques/Live demonstration
- MSK in Rheumatology: Indication/applications; diagnosis & intervention
- Live demonstration; Q/A all areas;
- Interactive Case Presentations
- Reimbursement, Credentialing & Lab Accreditation
- Hands-on sessions with a less then or equal to 3:1 participant to instructor ratio (at each station)